Tribute to George Carlin by Terri Rimmer - originally published by Associated Content, 2008

Why, being a huge fan of the now late Georgie Carlin, comedian extraordinaire since age 12, did it take me six days to write a tribute to him?
Because, having read stories about him all week after finding out about his death last Sunday at 1 a.m. via Internet, I didn't think that anything I could have penned could hold a candle to the tributes that have already been created.
However, as I sit here with a tribute old episode of "Saturday Night Live" starring Carlin from the 1970s playing in the background, I figure I have to at least make an attempt, especially since I have thought about his passing all week, having laid awake for awhile after hearing about his death, remembering when I saw him live in 1987 in Florida and about all the performances I heard and listened to of his that were pure genius.
Like Dallasite Donna Harris, I too was just a kid when I first heard the gifted comedy that was George Carlin. Years later his gift would pull me out of the deepest depressions that all kinds of medication couldn't touch. There were times when I was in so deep that nothing could get me out of it but when I watched a videotape or popped in a cassette of his, I was catapulted into a different world, one of hope and humor at a whole different level. There were also times when I would laugh so hard at a CD of his that I would almost wreck the car. This gift was free, cost me nothing. I could check out tapes or CDs of his at the library and now his talent lives on, something that up-and-coming comedians aspire to, as he has been called "the dean of comedy."
My three favorite comedians in order were always Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Robin Williams. Later Chris Rock became number four. And, just like Pryor when he died, the world of comedy has suffered a tremendous loss with the death of Carlin.
I had a dream about Carlin just this week after I read that he joked that he pictured the afterlife like a "heavenly CNN." Later that night I dreamed that Carlin, when asked by me if there was a heaven or hell responded, "There is no heaven or hell. It's neither heaven nor hell, just something in between."
The next night I dreamed he was talking to me about what it meant to have talent.
I told a friend of mine this week after finding out Carlin died that I got to see him perform at Jacksonville University 21 years ago thanks to my older sister who first introduced me to his comedy in my pre-teen years.
My friend responded, "I saw him on Leno."
If you have seen Carlin perform live, then you know that's not the same thing.
I read a Carlin tribute that Jerry Seinfeld wrote this week that was published in the New York Times and read everything that came my way pertaining to the comic's life and death.
"Having been one of those impressionable children George Carlin introduced to the 'F' word in 1973, I can honestly say from a girl's perspective that was the day my love affair with pop-culture and promotion began!" said writer Donna Harris. "While pondering his impact, it wasn't hard to figure out making signs, twirling a baton in hand-me-down go-go boots while selling treats made from Mr. Snow Cone were my crude yet passionate beginning attempts to master timing in the market place for small business owners."
I echo her sentiments when she writes: "Here's to you, Man, wherever you are!"
I wish he could answer that question now in his wry, melodic, animated, carefully orchestrated, effortless way that WAS George Carlin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clark Gets Death Penalty in Murder by Terri Rimmer - originally published by Nassau County Record, 1991 under my maiden name

Joy Journal By Terri Rimmer

The Role of Courtroom Sketch Artists by Terri Rimmer - originally published by Associated Content, 2007